As the scope of advertising has evolved over the years, so too have the responsibilities and job descriptions of those who work in the industry. The rise of digital marketing necessitated a whole new creative perspective, one that looked beyond traditional means of communication and instead focused on trailblazing new media channels.
In this new epoch, we’ve seen online marketing brew some odd positions at otherwise very admirable and respected agencies. Has the world of advertising gone mad from the confusion? Not completely, but perhaps one symptom of the impending outbreak of lunacy are these, The Top 11 Most Ridiculous Advertising Job Titles. (And before you ask, yes – they’re real.)
- Interactive Evangelist: Despite what you may think, this isn’t the word of God you’re preaching.
- Social Media Ninja: If we can see you, you must be a pretty terrible ninja.
- Innovator-at-Large: Overcompensating for something, buddy?
- Chief Creative Insurgent: Marketing ain’t the armed forces, chief.
- Brand Champion: You know you have to win something to call yourself a “champion,” right?
- Chief Blogging Officer: Odd, since you probably report to a “Junior Copywriter.”
- Global Chief Growth Officer: A long-winded title and a six-figure paycheck does not an actual job make.
- Brand Strategy Guru: We can picture you now – sitting in a lotus position and doling out insights that barely make sense.
- Director of Emerging Media: Why not “Media Midwife?”
- Web Alchemist: No matter how hard you try, pixels and HTML aren’t going to turn into gold.